[LAU] The perfect distro for linux audio...

Roger E gurusonic at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 19:33:07 EST 2008

Florin Andrei wrote:
> All my enthusiasm for "the perfect distro for
> insert-any-narrow-field-here" has vanished long time ago, when I
> realized the huge advantage of using a general purpose distribution
> that's good enough for what you are trying to do, and also has a very
> large user base. Having lots of users means great support, populous and
> active mailing lists and forums, lots of packages already made and ready
> to install, and just tons of know-how floating around on the net.
>
> E.g., at the office we use CentOS. Since it's basically Red Hat
> Enterprise, it benefits from all the user base and all the software and
> all the know-how of the original distro. Great for enterprise stuff.
>
> For personal usage, and also for audio, I think Ubuntu is good enough.
> If you want more specific features, you can always install Ubuntu
> Studio, which will give you special kernels and a bunch of audio apps.
>
> http://ubuntustudio.org/
>
> But before you do that, give plain Ubuntu a try. It may just be good
> enough, and it's more "mainstream" than the Studio version.
>
> *Specialization is basically a liability.* Sooner or later you run into
> problems with any such narrow-focus distro. So just get a widely popular
> distro and work with it. In the long term, you will realize it allows
> you to concentrate more on your work and less on the tool (the distro).
> That's all that matters in the end.

Debian is a great general-purpose distro and Sidux IS Debian (and I
agree it is excellent). I see posted regular problems with Ubuntu that
don't occur in Debian. I respect that Ubuntu is comparatively easy to
configure, but I only recommend it to less experienced users.
-It's been said Ubuntu is an African word meaning "can't configure Debian"
-Also known as "NotDebian" at forums.debian.org

As a long-time Debian Testing user I just had to respond to this subtle
flame.