[LAU] The perfect distro for linux audio...

cunnilinux himself cunnilinux at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 05:57:10 EST 2008

just a few random thoughts.

* the best distro i have seen myself _IS_ jacklab.
unfortunately, it's outdated at the moment, and not available for
64-bit architectures, but it's still closest to the "perfect" (imho).

* to speak about ubuntu studio - gnome sucks. too much gnome crap is
definitely not a way to gain simplicity & performance.

* any distro WILL be imperfect for linux audio, since it WILL also be
trying to be good for generic desktop use at the same time, thus it
WILL suffer from performance penalties & waste precious memory / cpu /
disk i/o resources.

* (imo) PERFECT linux system for audio should do AUDIO jobs very well,
and all those unnecessary options to turn it to another 1024 things
SHOULD be removed.

as for me, i'm building the whole system myself, enabling all
optimizations for my hardware & omitting anything i'm not going to
deal with.
but i know that way is inacceptable for the vast majority of linux users...

--
sex, bike, open source!