[LAU] automated recording / processing / encoding to mp3

Brian Dunn job17and9 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 26 09:43:21 EST 2008

LAUsers:

I am trying to set up a box in a sound booth to take in a mono analog
speech signal off of a board and then eventually output a id3 tagged
mp3.

* easy to for myself and the other (non linux user) sound team members.
* be capable of capturing for <= 2 hours.
* simple id3 tagging (allow user to set the speaker and the title )
* apply compressor, remove DC offset, and normalize.
* encode as mp3 with reasonable quality for a voice recording (any
suggestions here?)

My first thought for capturing the signal was Ardour (of course), but
now I'm thinking that may be overkill.  It may be best to have the
whole thing be basically a script. to that end,
* a good command line DAW?
* minimum hardware for the computer / sound card?
* anyone built a similar automated chain?
* any other suggestions?

thanks.
/brian