[LAU] disadvantages of a realtime kernel

Roberto Gordo Saez roberto.gordo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 12:45:53 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 02:25:17PM +0100, Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> Is a realtime kernel less stable?

I think yes, at least it is for me. Specially the latest with some
hardware combinations are very unstable. In addition, it is possible
to freeze the machine when using realtime tasks (and sometimes it
happens).

But if you want low latency for audio apps, you need to live with those
stability issues. There is still a long road until those paches are
fully integrated and supported in the mainline kernel (if ever).

> Are they available for far less platforms?

IIRC, they are available for IA32, IA64 and powerpc. Yes, this is
"far less patforms" than the non-rt kernel, but it should not be a
problem unless you are using any of those platforms.