[LAU] RT patch not needed for new kernels (?)

Adam Sampson ats at offog.org
Thu Nov 27 12:46:11 EST 2008

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano <nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU> writes:

> A caveat is that the realtime preemption patches for 2.6.26.x don't
> seem to work too well (midi problems when used with external
> controllers).

Could you be more specific? It sounds like the problem I'm currently
seeing with 2.6.26.6-rt11.

I had problems with earlier RT kernels such as 2.6.25.8-rt7 occasionally
locking up on my machine (in a way that das_watchdog wouldn't recover
from but the kernel software watchdog would detect), but 2.6.26.6-rt11
has been running happily for three weeks now.

The downside is that the MIDI port on my Audiophile 2496 doesn't work:
trying to open /dev/snd/midiC0D0 always returns EBUSY, even when nothing
else has it open, and events from it don't seem to make it into the
sequencer. In addition, the snd_ice1712 module seems to have a reference
count of 2 even when nothing has any of the sound devices open...

--
Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org>                         <http://offog.org/>