[LAU] korg + timidity + rosegarden via jack

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas pedro.lopez.cabanillas at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 13:38:08 EST 2008

On Viernes, Noviembre 28, 2008, robert lazarski wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 7:13 AM, Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc at rncbc.org> wrote:
> > robert lazarski wrote:
> >> I started timidity with "-Oj" , but don't hava timidity in the alsa
> >> pane.
> >
> > you need to start timidity as an alsa-sequencer client for input as well
> > _and_ as a jack-audio client for output, which you already did. maybe
> > you're missing a command line option, say "-iA" ?
>
> Well I'm almost there. I ran this:
>
> timidity -iA -B2,8 -Oj -EFreverb=0
>
> And can connect RG to both my korg and timidity. I still have two problems:
>
> 1) "timidity -iA" doesn't have an user interface, what I really want
> is to add "-iat" to get a piano role. If I run:
>
> timidity -iA -B2,8 -Oj -EFreverb=0 -iat
>
> Then its not started in in "ALSA server mode" . Is there no way to launch
> timidity to be both in "ALSA server mode" and with a UI?
>
> 2) The sound coming from timidity when connected to RG is like a
> staticy echo tunnel. I usually will have timidity muted as I just need
> its piano roll, but it'd be nice to figure out the problem.

Ah, I've just understood now what you want. You said "piano roll" (1), but you
meant "pianola" or "piano player" (2). Right?

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_roll
(2) http://www.pianola.org/history/history_pianoplayers.cfm

I think that you can't tell Timidity to use GUI and ALSA interfaces at the
same time, Sorry. Maybe you want to try a different program?

VMPK can highlight the keys on a piano keyboard, according to the played MIDI
notes from another program like Rosegarden. But only one channel each time.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vmpk/

Another program that you may want to try is kmid. It is a MIDI/karaoke player:
http://developer.kde.org/~larrosa/kmid.html

Regards,
Pedro