[LAU] Survey: Linux users and music performance

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Sat Nov 29 22:57:30 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 12:20:16PM +0100, John Littler wrote:
> Hi,
> For a while I've been wondering just how many people
> are using Linux for music performance, and what kind
> of music. This led me to the idea of doing a survey on
> this list to see what we come up with. The results
> will be published on Mstation.org
>
> Please email your replies to me. Here we go ...
>

> artist name:
ken restivo

http://www.restivo.org/blog/

Debian Sid with a few customized packages. Details here: http://www.restivo.org/projects/asus/system-details

> gear setup:
current setup is an Asus Z96F laptop, Novation Remote 61 controller, M-Audio FastTrack Pro interface, Peavy KB4 amp

> music genre (roughly):
funk/fusion

> types of venue played:
clubs, bars, beach, fairs, street

> link to an example track:
oh, man, there are hundreds. how about this one, done 100% in linux:
http://www.restivo.org/blog/podpress_trac/web/406/0/music-box-0.2.1.ogg

at least 38 more featured tracks here: http://www.restivo.org/blog/archives/category/music/featured

> comments on your setup (how happy you are with it;
i love it! it's been rock-solid reliable and i've used it live since may 2007.

> improvements you're thinking of etc.):
i'm building an intel amd64 mini-ITX headless box running 64studio. i'm using an asus EEE 1000 as a "head" for it, and also as my portable audio editing and synth patching (and websurfing and emailing) machine.

> anything you think is important that hasn't been
> asked:

Thanks for putting this survey together!

-ken