[LAU] Standalone mixer.

Sean Corbett seanbutnotheard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 13:25:43 EDT 2008

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 16:20:02 +0400
> From: "alex stone" <compose59 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [LAU] Standalone mixer.
> To: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
>
> Evening all.
>
> I'm searching for a standalone mixer to work with jack, so i can route some
> bits through it. Any number of channel strips would be ok, but the bigger
> the better.
>
> I'm also looking for a single gain strip, with meter, that will do the same
> thing for one stereo input / stereo output. (I'll settle for two mono gain
> meter strips as well.)
>
> I'm using dual boot Linux/Ubuntustudio Hardy, 32 and 64bit..
>
> Any help would be welcome, and i'm using patchage, and Ingen, for patchbay,
> and plugin management respectively.
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 14:23:38 +0200
> From: Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
> Subject: Re: [LAU] Standalone mixer.
> To: alex stone <compose59 at gmail.com>
> Cc: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
>
> On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 16:20 +0400, alex stone wrote:
>> Evening all.
>>
>> I'm searching for a standalone mixer to work with jack, so i can route
>> some bits through it. Any number of channel strips would be ok, but
>> the bigger the better.
>
> ardour with no tracks and N busses?
>
> :)

This is probably just a way-out-there nobody-will-take-the-time idea,
but has anyone ever thought of splitting the mixer part of Ardour from
the DAW part?  So that e.g. if you do strictly outboard mixing, you
don't need to fire up Ardour's mixer, or more importantly, if all you
need is a mixer and plugin-patch-points (as Alex does), you can fire
up Ardour's mixer standalone?  It just seems to fit the Unix mentality
more than a monolithic DAW, especially considering the existence of
JACK... though I'm sure there are a million reasons not to do it this
way.  Anyway, just a thought.

Sean Corbett