[LAU] exporting ardour tracks with ecasound

Shani Hadiyanto Pribadi shanipribadi at gmx.net
Wed Oct 8 00:38:04 EDT 2008

Hello

I used ardour to record a song for my friend. He is the one who is
going to mix it (in windows)
so I need to export those tracks to individual files. I could use
ardour's export track,
but it seems to me that i have to export each track one by one, and
that would be time consuming.
So I use ecasound instead. The command was

ecasound -b 128 -r -c -f:32,8,48000 -a:1 -i jack -a:1 -f:32,8,48000 -o file.wav

I do engine-launch, and connect each output from ardour manually.
After that i do start in ecasound. The resulting file is an
eight-channel wav file.
The thing is, I'm kinda confused on how to proceed from here.
I know I have to split it into individual mono files, but how, and with what.
can I use sndfile- or sox, or perhaps ecasound itself?

Second question, does recording this way adds extra latency of 128
frames to the resulting file?
How long is that, in ms?

Third question, I stumbled upon this

http://lalists.stanford.edu/lau/2004/07/0523.html
Now you might ask why the "-ea:400" (amplify by 400%) at the end of each
chain. Now I regret having this feature in Ecasound more and more each
day, but due to backwards compability issues, we just have to live with
it. Basicly when Ecasound mixes together 'n' chains, it scales the
amplitude to 1/n. This results in surprising results in the above case
where each source chain has audible signal only one channel and the
scaling doesn't make sense. Thus we scale it back up (no loss of
information, just awkward.

Do i need to use -ea:800 to scale the automatic scaling ecasound did?

Thank you