[LAU] PulseAudio and Alsa

Stephen Doonan stephen.doonan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 09:12:21 EDT 2008

Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> What is ESD in Preferences/Sound?

A few non-expert, ordinary-user comments--

ESD is the "Enlightened Sound Daemon," I'm guessing Gnome's equivalent
of KDE's aRts sound server. I personally don't like these
desktop-environment sound servers so I turn them off using the
preferences and system control-panel tools of Gnome or KDE and rely on
ALSA and JACK instead.

But regarding ESD, when PulseAudio is installed it installs an "ESD
replacement" script that activates PulseAudio instead of ESD when ESD
would normally be activated. So the "Enable software sound mixing (ESD)"
checkbox in Sound Preferences in Gnome really probably turns PulseAudio
on instead of ESD.

So now for me there are 3 things to turn off regarding sound: aRts, ESD
and PulseAudio.

PulseAudio tries I guess to be a comprehensive solution to audio that
would replace aRts and ESD at some point. But to me, at this point in
time, it seems to create more problems than solutions.

-Steve