[LAU] hip hop / making beats

Justin Smith noisesmith at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 15:30:23 EDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 9:59 AM,  <charles.fleche at free.fr> wrote:

>> now making my own beats with supercollider. I do scheduling in SC,
>> which I control with MIDI controllers. I also try to synthesize drums
>> in SC, but moving more towards CLM. I'm not into drum samples, though
>

> I missed something : what is CLM ?
>
> Very interesting thread by the way...

CLM is common lisp music, a set of common lisp libraries for audio
synthesis. The libraries have also been ported to ruby, scheme, c, and
forth, but the common lisp documentation is the most thorough. The
scheme version is the processing backend for snd (and snd even gives
you a repl to interactively do effects or synthesis within the sound
file editor).

CLM integrates well with CM, common music, which is more focused on
algorithmic music, sequencing, and sheetmusic rendering, and can use
CLM as a backend for producing its output.