[LAU] Why telnet for communication between applications?

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Thu Oct 16 06:23:12 EDT 2008

Crypto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> reading recent posts concerning telnet there is one thing I have not yet
> understood:
>
> Why would I use telnet for interprocess communication rather than e.g.
> transmitting commands between two applications via software MIDI ports ?
>
> Is it (much) faster? Or do I get less protocol overhead, or...?
>
> Thanks for shading some light on this,
> Crypto.
Telnet is a bit of a misnomer anyway - it refers to using TCP socket
streams on a particular numbered port (23) to log in remotely to another
machine, whereas socket streams are more general than this and can be on
any port and have any higher level protocol embedded in them.

I.e. Telnet uses TCP sockets, but sockets aren't always used for telnet.
(E.g. http and ftp also use TCP sockets).

andy