[LAU] songs and samples request for comments

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Oct 20 01:37:32 EDT 2008

Hartmut Noack wrote:

> Hello,
>
> in our Linux Audio Proof Of Concept project we try to find out, what can
> really be achieved with free software only in the field of music making.
> We use only some must-haves of  affordable hardware (mixers, mics) to
> have a situation similar to the typical Mac/Win home recorder, that
> emulates outboard-equipment with VST etc.
>
> Our Computers run 64Studio, JAD1.0 (without wineasio) and UbuntuStudio.
> The main tool is Ardour2 whithout VST. All apps are GNU, all samples are
> recorded by us and we had only one session with a Line6 pod in witch we
> recorded about 20 seconds of the material we present hereby:
>
> http://lapoc.de/demos/lapoc-sos-ashita-141008.ogg
> detailed description:
> http://lapoc.de/demos/lapoc-sos-ashita-release-demo1.txt
>
> http://lapoc.de/demos/lapoc-sos-befall-demo01-191008.ogg
> detailed description:
> http://lapoc.de/demos/lapoc-sos-befall-demo1.txt
>
> Both are in a demo-status, the first (ashita) needs a final mix and
> mastering, the second will get a bass line and some more extras also and
> will be re-recorded in a open demo-session with a band at the
> Brandenburger Linux Infotage in Potsdam/Germ on November the first this
> year.
>
> We also released some raw samples of drumkits and guitars:
>
> http://gnupc.de/~zettberlin/law/samples/free/raw/
>
> please consult the README for a description and for detailed
> licensing-infos.
>

> Any comments, hints and derivatives are highly welcome!

It's dark and emotional.  I would really enjoy hearing this live as the
wall you build up is solid. A big grunty stack would be like leaning
into a high wind ;-) The sound is similar to my old band in it's bass
richness. We were just bass, drums and fx though.

A couple of small timing issues on track one which will be hard to mask
but you may be able to clean them up with the mastering process.
Otherwise I assume you want a bit of syncopation to give the ambience an
uneasy feeling?

You got the right sound for your voice too. Really fits the mood.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.