[LAU] songs and samples request for comments

garryo garry.ogle at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Oct 20 16:52:13 EDT 2008

Hartmut Noack wrote:

(snip)

> http://lapoc.de/demos/lapoc-sos-ashita-141008.ogg
> detailed description:
> http://lapoc.de/demos/lapoc-sos-ashita-release-demo1.txt
>
> http://lapoc.de/demos/lapoc-sos-befall-demo01-191008.ogg
> detailed description:
> http://lapoc.de/demos/lapoc-sos-befall-demo1.txt
>
> Both are in a demo-status, the first (ashita) needs a final mix and
> mastering, the second will get a bass line and some more extras also and
> will be re-recorded in a open demo-session with a band at the
> Brandenburger Linux Infotage in Potsdam/Germ on November the first this
> year.

Hi, Hartmut. I really enjoyed your tracks. Both have great dynamics and
strong dramatic tension: you had my attention 100%!

I was reminded a little of music like Pink Floyd's "Careful With That
Axe Eugene" and maybe Can. Which is a good thing :-)

re Thorsten's comment about "vocals shy in the mix" on "Befall" : at
times the vocals seem at the right level,  at times a little quiet.
there is a quite wide dynamic range. You want to keep some of this, but
i would try compressing the vocals and have them a little louder.
And maybe lose the reverb so that they sit right at the front. At the
moment they are having to compete with the guitars a bit.
maybe some reverb on the guitars to make them sit back.
(just my quick thoughts, i know your work is not finished :-) )

I am looking forward to hearing the final versions: be sure to let us know!

> We also released some raw samples of drumkits and guitars:
>
> http://gnupc.de/~zettberlin/law/samples/free/raw/
>
> please consult the README for a description and for detailed
> licensing-infos.

thanks for those.

best wishes, G.

--