[LAU] Intel-HDA sound issues

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Tue Oct 21 17:03:47 EDT 2008

Quoth J M Needham at 2008-10-22 06:17...

> I've got one of these pieces of crap in a reasonable enough laptop.
:-)  Couldn't have described my own situation any better!

> start jack, with 17.4 ms latency (3p/b, realtime, unlock mem,priority 70) I get
> sound being very crackly from a "test" app -- zynaddsubfx. Note this is very
> much not normal behaviour before Hardy Heron (wife had a baby after then and
> didn't have much time until now) when under Gutsy, zyn, hydrogen, rosegarden
> and ardour all ran swimmingly together.  On the messages from Jack I have:
> Hardy heron. Anyone got any ideas?

Very similar setup to mine, although I'm using Gentoo with an RT kernel.
  (Problem occurred with every kernel I tried.)

I wasted far too much time with the same issue myself - although I
didn't know that the Intel HDA was the issue at first.  This is a known
issue and - I believe - has something to do with interrupt conflicts.

Whilst it is possible that someone out there may have this working with
Jack (and a realtime kernel), I have yet to meet them.

The solution that I employed in the end was to get the driver module out
of the kernel entirely and use a Behringer UCA202 USB sound card
instead.  The only xruns that I have seen since have been due to things
like new applications starting up or Rosegarden crashing (another issue
entirely.)

Probably not the answer that you wanted (it wasn't the one I wanted!),
but worked for me.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/