[LAU] Ubuntu Hard real time kernel (2.6.24-21) poor performance.

Cassiel raffaele.morelli at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 05:13:27 EDT 2008

You should receive answers like "hey, there's 64studio and other audio
related distros out there!!!" in a couple of hours on this list.

By the way, I am running debian lenny and using my own rt kernel.
I succesfully compiled 2.6.24 and 2.6.26 with real time patch and tried
2.6.21 from 64studio and the ubuntu studio one to learn something more using
'make oldconfig'

2.6.26 performances are good (1.5ms 32 frames/period) even if sometimes
jackd freezes and I don't know why. qjackctl load is around 30-50% with
ardour running a 14tracks mix with full fx in playback mode. Duplex mode
loads are around 60-70%

2.6.24 performances are the same but with no freezes and an increased load,
around 1-2% (same mix).

With 64studio and ubuntu studio kernels I didn't noticed the improvements I
expected...

I then started to built my own and benchmarking following (as you probably
know):
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Low_latency_howto

For nvidia drivers have a look at this.
http://desiato.tinyplanet.ca/~lsorense/debian/debian-nvidia-dri-howto.html<http://desiato.tinyplanet.ca/%7Elsorense/debian/debian-nvidia-dri-howto.html>

Removing network/server/router... and experimentale features in the
"oldconfig/menuconfig" process helped me a lot.

regards