[LAU] Kmix + jackd strange behaviour

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Thu Oct 30 06:04:38 EDT 2008

Crypto wrote:
> On Thursday 30 October 2008 03:27:40 Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> Kmix is possibly rewriting the .asoundrc file to make the device the
>> "default" card.
>>
>> I'm not sure what your settings are in qjackctl. Are you assigning
>> devices by name or by node point?
>>
>> ex, intel, usb,  hw:0,0 hw: 1,0
>
> Patrick,
>
> a .asoundrc file is neither in my /home directory nor in the /etc directory so
> I do not think Kmix is creating one.
>
> When I use qjackctl I look at the connections that are possible. qjackctl
> finds all audio devices connected to my notebook and their relevant device
> names and node points and displays them. They are updated whenever I restart
> qjackctl.
>
> It means that I can get a hw:0,0 for my external USB device but I can also get
> a hw:2,0 for it. qjackctl monitors that and always seems to display the
> latest device name/node point combination. So the answer to Your question
> is "I look at the device name and qjackctl knows the node point for jackd
> assigned to the device name".
>
> The problem is that after looking at the combination and chosing the relevant
> device name/node point from this menu list for the external USB audio device
> I am still not getting external audio output with jack when I use amarok that
> I have set to "jack" for audio output. This appears to be linked somehow with
> the Kmix menu display settings. That is, if Kmix displays the external USB
> device settings I am getting amarok external USB audio output, but if Kmix
> displays onboard sound settings then amarok uses internal onboard sound,
> regardless the fact that qjackctl is set to output to external USB device.
>
> I wonder if qjacktcl/jackd creates a permanent list of audio devices and their
> node points once and does not update this list afterwards. Whenever a device
> is connected jack looks into this list and takes the node point assigned to a
> device, regardless the fact that the node point could have changed meanwhile.

this device list, assuming you're referring to the qjackctl setup
drop-down menu as shown by the [>] button on the right to interface and
input/output device entry fields and "alsa" is the selected driver, is
just the enumeration of all alsa_pcm devices available in your system.

this list is not created by qjackctl. it is indeed queried by qjackctl
to the alsa control layer and is built everytime you pop the menu up, so
it doesn't matter at all whether you restart qjackctl or not.

otoh, i suspect that it is amarok, which you must ensure that its xine
engine is sure having jack as its output plugin, that needs to be reset
or recycled whenever you restart jackd (via qjackctl).

byee
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc at rncbc.org