[LAU] 64bit vs. 32bit

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Mon Sep 1 17:06:54 EDT 2008

Hi!
   Advantages: You can access more memory. but I think the new kernels do ave
an option to adress memory in 64BIT, while still generally being a 32BIT
system. Maybe I got this wrong though.
   What doesn't work: Prebuilt things. Like windows codecs and other
proprietary software. (reading proprietary formats with audio players, I don't
know for other wine stuff VST.
   But you really need to worry about 64BIT if your processor does it and if
your memory is big enough (>4GB - am I right about this limit anyone?). Don't
ask me for harddisk limitations.
   Kindest regards
          Julien

--------