[LAU] [LAD] Ubuntu Studio 8.10, -rt and 2.6.27

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Tue Sep 2 09:40:30 EDT 2008

Tim Blechmann wrote:
>>> while sharing this experience, i am curious, whether there are any
>>> insights, why this is the case?
>>> did anyone come up with an analysis of the problem source? maybe
>>> bisecting the kernel source?
>> I haven't been following the RT list that closely over the last couple
>> of weeks, but I think you'll find that version is WAY ahead of the
>> stable RT patches.
>>
>> I got my RT working about 4 weeks ago and was advised by the RT
>> developers to go for the latest stable - 2.6.24.7-rt17
>
> i am lurking on the linux-rt-users list for a while and i haven't read
> any references, why 2.6.26 (patched or unpatched) is not suitable for low-
> latency audio ...
>
> still 2.6.26-rt3 is unusable for me and, as paul mentioned, also for
> others ... i'd be curious about the reasons, though ...

is not that .26 is that bad for audio, but *it is* seriously broken for
midi. afaict that relates to the -rt only. vanilla might be ok.

it has been suggested that the preemptive-BKL changes made after .26-rc2
are the suspect subject. good news are that .27 will have this fixed or
at least goes a few steps into an acceptable solution regarding -rt

byee
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela
rncbc at rncbc.org