[LAU] Equilization dah?

Anders Dahnielson anders at dahnielson.com
Fri Sep 5 03:53:56 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 00:16, schwartz <millward at ms.umanitoba.ca> wrote:

> I have read that using equalization will give each instrument more "space"
> and make the track clearer and easier to listen to. I sort of understand
> that
> this involves removing some frequencies from, say the guitar, so that it
> does not interfere with vocals, or some such concept.  Is there somewhere
> on the internet I could get some information or better yet, some real life
> examples, of how to equalize a track?  I use Audacity as a sound editor
> and it does have EQ on it, but I've no idea how to use it.
>  Is there somewhere on the internet that can tell me what frequency
> ranges the typical bland human voice, harmonica, guitar, bass, and drums
> each cover individually?  That way I'll have a starting point for this
> adventure into EQ.  Or is learning EQ just a case of sloppin' around until
> something good happens?

As The Fons said: Learn to listen. Listen to learn.

Here's a chart [1] of approximate instrument ranges and their frequencies.
It doesn't tell the whole story but it can be handy. It was published in
Sound On Sound [2], I'm currently trying to locate the original article it
appeared in, but SOS is anyway a highly recommended resource and all their
articles older than 6 month are free for everyone to read.

[1] http://files.dahnielson.com/2008/03/23/instrument-ranges.png
[2] http://www.soundonsound.com/

--
Anders Dahnielson