[LAU] First commercial VSTi for Linux released

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Fri Sep 5 09:50:10 EDT 2008

Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> Michael Bohle wrote:
>
>> Virtual Analog Synth Power for Linux:
>>
>> discoDSP has announced the release of Discovery Release 3 for Mac OS X, Windows and, for the first time, Linux.
>> There is a limited demo available: http://www.discodsp.com/discovery/
>>

> Should we all buy it?
Buy it if you want/need it.

>  Then others want that success too ;)

Nothing succeeds like success. :)

> I don't use VST's yet, happy with linuxsampler etc. so far....

So, does this synth add anything special to the Linux soundapps arsenal
? Let's see...

It's an 8 oscillator analog synth with resonance, layering, and analog
FM. It can accept Nord Lead sys-ex files and it comes with 127 presets.
The sounds range from interesting to useful to not-so-hot, but the synth
is completely programmable and smoothly responsive to parameter changes
in realtime (no xruns from JACK). The sound is good, the presets show it
off well, and the GUI is nicely designed and uncomplicated. It's
definitely a finished product, and given the lack of similar plugin
instruments for Linux it may be an attractive choice for softsynth-based
Linux music-makers.

Btw, discoDSP also released their Highlife sampler as an open-source
project. Lucio Asnaghi has already ported it to Linux, it runs very
nicely in his JOST system.

As to whether Discovery is worth $90US, you'll have to answer that one
yourself. I've only tested the demo, and I haven't made up my mind about
purchasing it.

Best,

dp