[LAU] Renoise

garryo garry.ogle at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Sep 5 17:34:39 EDT 2008

Grammostola wrote:

> There is no good free tracker for linux is it?

Hi, Dirk, Frank, everybody!
Dirk, your question has been puzzling me too.
Now that Soundtracker appears to be broken on debian/lenny,
I've been looking for a replacement.

Renoise is pretty good but its not free ( as in speech or beer )
and it didn't seem to synch long samples too well against a rhythm
section built of one-shots.

  Frank B. wrote:

> MilkyTracker [1] is very polished, but: I don't track that much, so I
> don't know how good it actually is.
> Milkytracker also supports Jack (maybe apply this fix [2] first).

> [1] http://www.milkytracker.net/
> [2] http://modarchive.org/forums/index.php?topic=1261.0

Of the free trackers available Milkytracker is IMHO my opinion the front
runner. some of the others are promising but most seem to be suffering
from lack of development work.

The GUI is a bit fiddly on Milkytracker, but its no more difficult to
use than soundtracker, just different.

And it sounds good. The developers seem very keen on reproducing the
sound of the Fasttracker II audio engine. I don't know FT II but
Milkytracker sounds tight and crispy.

My main problem with MT was that the jack driver didn't work.
Frank B. just provided the solution to that one: [2] above.
( Frank i kiss your cheeks! :-) )

which also solved my other problem: how to export only selected
instrument tracks to wav. MT's export function exports the whole thing
regardless of mute settings. ( that's got to be a feature request. )

enough about me. what do you know? :-)

best wishes, G.