[LAU] Notation: The State of the Mess

Grammostola Rosea rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 09:41:53 EDT 2008

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> David Baron wrote:
>
>> Very little has progressed since the last thread here.
>>

> A sidestep:
>
> Has anyone been able to run sibelius under linux? If so, what steps did
> you have to follow?

sudo aptitude install musescore lilypond nted rosegarden where my steps
i did follow...

;)

No experience with Sibelius on linux. I only worked for a while with
Finale wine.

But I didn't use finale much on linux. I'm learning now Lilypond with
the help of some useful tools e.g. lilykde (excellent templates and
fast) and lilypondtool (great debugger and a lot of options)
http://code.google.com/p/lilykde/
http://lilypondtool.organum.hu/

and till now I can do everything I want, also with help of the lilypond
user mailinglist....

If you can work with lilypond, you can use the Notation editors (nted,
rosegarden, musescore, denemo or noteedit) to work with a gui, and if
needed you can improve the score (adding chord symbols for example) by
hand. What I try to say, learn lilypond and you don't 'suffer' much if
an notation editor lacks a feature you need...