[LAU] Sneakernet advice

Chip VanDan chip.vandan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 15:31:51 EDT 2008

I'm in a bit of a pickle lately and I was hoping for some advice.  I'm
currently in a situation where I have access to a computer but not
from my laptop that I want Linux on.

I'm used to using Fedora Core 3 with Planet CCRMA, however that is
completely impossible without having an Internet connection seeing as
how everything is managed using yum or apt.  I've tried Dynebolic on
my laptop and it completely sucked, the sound card didn't work
properly.  I just tried Ubuntu 8.04 and it worked beautifully, then I
found Ubuntu Studio which is based on 8.04, however it's only
available in DVD format and I don't have a DVD burner on the computer
that has access.

Before I get the answer I'm expecting I'll say that I cannot put the
laptop on the same network as the computer that has access, that is
not allowed where I'm at.  Is there a way to download the ISO file and
run it from a USB Flash drive?

Or any other suggestions, such as better CD based distributions?