[LAU] Notation: The State of the Mess

Tom Dunstan gateswideopen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 20:12:20 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:55 AM, svoufff at free <svoufff at free.fr> wrote:

> Yes i work on Sibelius almost everyday along linuxsampler to hear my
> scores.
> I'm on Ubuntu Hardy with RT kernel 2.6.24-19-rt.
> Sibelius 4.1.5
> Wine 1.0
> LS 5.1
> I installed Sibelius as usual then i trhrown the file gdiplus.dll in
> ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32
> I also put in that folder the files mfc42.dll, msvcirt.dll and
> msvcp60.dll but don't recall if that was really for sibelius or another
> win-app
> I installed the msttcorefonts package
> On wine config, audio section, i had to choose only alsa driver.
>
> Then this is time to start everything :
> -start jack
> -start LS and load some sounds, connect LS in jack if it's not done
> automatically
> -start Sibelius.Go to Play/Playback & Input Devices.In front of the
> device you wanna use you have a yes/no (the "use" column).Single-click
> or double -click or triple-click...til you have a "yes".You won't have
> to do it again if you start the device (LS in my case) before Sibelius.
>
> Everything should be ready.Here's a webpage at winehq that helped me :
> http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=8340

.

i also found this useful
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Sibelius_4
although now i think it is a little out of date. i gave up on timidity as i
found it to be terribly unstable with jack and sibelius. now i just use it
without sounds/playback. i concur on the graphic refresh issues and CPU
usage.

on a side note(heh)... i would much prefer to support linux notation apps
and i visit threads like this every 6 months or so. sibelius and wine work
great for me but i would much prefer a intuitive interface to lilypond
anyday, alas we are not there yet. but i am greatful for all the hard work
exploring this world.

also, svoufff... what does gdiplus.dll mfc42.dll, msvcirt.dll and
msvcp60.dll  in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 do? do you have any info on
this?