[LAU] Linux audio course Rotterdam

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Fri Sep 12 15:14:03 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 06:50:42PM +0200, Grammostola Rosea wrote:

>>> When you give a course it cost you: time, traveling costs
>>> (Brussels > R'dam) organization, making a course book (and copy it?) and
>>> linux audio usage, educational and presentation skills.... that could
>>> deserve some money....
>>>
>> I agree. OTOH, one reason why the course is given in
>> English in the centre of the Dutch/Flemish language
>> region may be that a lot of the course material is
>> just copied from material available on the web.
>> In that case I just hope that Mr. Moors has all
>> the copyright issues sorted out.

Really, what is the problem here?

If you think the course is too expensive ... don't go.

If you can do better ... offer your own course.

If you want to teach for free then do so; if you want to get paid, then
charge.

If you don't want your stuff copied off the web and used in a commercial
manner: don't post or affix a "not for commercial use" copyright. BTW,
the GNU licence doesn't support this so you'll have to use a different
one (correct me if I'm wrong).

Isn't the whole point of freedom the ability to do what you want to do?

I have donated a lot of software over the years ... and I've sold stuff
as well. But, one thing I will not do anymore is to play for free. Too
many times I've done just that for some good cause which doesn't have
any budget this year ... and then next year, when they do have some
money, they hire and pay someone from out-of-town. I'm sure the same
applies to teaching.

Please don't confuse freedom and free beer!

--
  **** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca
WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca