[LAU] No audio going between JACK and sound card

ANDERSON GREGORY gymjb at stu.ca
Fri Sep 12 17:57:59 EDT 2008

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:47:16 +0200
  Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr> wrote:
> On Thursday 11 September 2008 19:23, ANDERSON    GREGORY
>wrote:
>> I just installed Fedora 9 but I am having trouble
>>getting
>> JACK configured properly.  The only way I can get jack
>> start without failing is by using the 'dummy' driver.
>> But
>> I cannot get sound out of the computer (even though
>>ardour
>> is working properly and playing) or any sound into the
>> computer.  Is this 'dummy' driver an actual driver?
>>
>> I had it woring excellent in Fedora 8 but in my absent
>> mindedness did not write down how it was configured.  I
>>do
>> believe I was using alsa though.  Do I need to set the
>> path to the driver, it just says 'jackd' now?
>>
>> If someone could answer my questions or at least point
>>me
>> to a resource I would be very thankful.
>>
>> Greg.
>
> Hi Greg. You mention both Fedora 8, and Fedora 9, and
>both of those have
> pulseaudio soundserver installed as default. I've read
>that pulseaudio has a
> problem working with Jack.
>
>For myself, my sounds were working fine on Fedora
>versions pre F8, but when
> pulseaudio entered the equation with F8, I lost all
>sounds with my Audigy2
> soundblaster card. I admit that I don't like new stuff
>being thrust upon me,
> so disabled pulseaudio by removing the package
> "alsa-plugins-pulseaudio" (without the double quotes),
>and the sounds came
> back.
>
> Now my Audigy2 soundblaster card (emu10k1 driver) allows
>me to run audio apps
> directly through Alsa, and also run Jack at the same
>time. Most sound cards
> don't though, and if you are running an audio app
>through Alsa, and it's
> working, then try to start Jack, Jack will complain.
>Likewise if you are
> using a Jack app, and that is working ok, and try to
>also start an app that
> uses Alsa directly, that will fail also.
>
> Just a few comments, and observations.
>
> Nigel.

I just removed pulse audio but I am getting the same
errors.  When I try to use jackd as the server path I get
this error.

18:53:06.576 killall jackd
jackd: no process killed
18:53:06.989 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit
status=256.
18:53:08.643 Could not connect to JACK server as client. -
Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server.
Please check the messages window for more info.

With all the other server paths I get this error.

18:54:03.126 JACK is starting...
18:54:03.127 jackstart -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p512 -n3 -S
-i1
18:54:03.133 Could not start JACK. Sorry.
18:54:04.932 JACK was stopped with exit status=255.
18:54:04.933 Post-shutdown script...
18:54:04.934 killall jackd
jackd: no process killed
18:54:05.387 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit
status=256.

Is there a beginner how-to for jack that explains what all
this stuff is and how to set it up?  I can't seem to find
one which I can understand.

Greg.