[LAU] Yamaha Disklavier Pro grand piano (132MiB, new improved version)

Roberto Gordo Saez roberto.gordo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 10:42:54 EDT 2008

This is the new release of the Yamaha Disklavier Pro acoustic grand
piano soundfont. It is much improved, including a total of 5 velocity
layers.

132MiB (yes, it's getting big)
116 samples, 44100Hz, 16bit
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license

It has a new stereo panning effect. It's not real stereo, but it helps
to make it more realistic when playing live, as somewhat imitates the
pianist's perception of the piano.

Loops are not required anymore. I've selected and included only full
length samples (around 20 seconds of sound for each sample, for low
notes).

Listen to this example music rendered trough it, a piano arrangement of
the famous Pachelbel's Canon in D:

http://zenvoid.org/audio/pachelbel-canon_20080910.ogg

I've added this time a very slight reverb to the demo, through
jack-rack and ladspa plugins. A convolution reverb added with jconv
was more realistic, but the license of the impulse responses was
bugging me.

Download the soundfont here:
http://zenvoid.org/i/audio.html

A note about the dynamics: I've placed the velocity layers at
almost random points. They work OK with my MIDI keyboard, but please
tell me how well does it perform in your MIDI keyboard (and what
keyboard model you are using). You should be able to reach the last
layer at forte (strong) levels, the first layer at piano or
mezzo-piano (soft) levels, and around the layer 2 or 3 under normal
pressure.