[LAU] Customizing Kubuntu for music?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 14:14:56 EDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Darren Landrum
<darren.landrum at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I'd rather run Kubuntu rather then Ubuntu Studio 64 for my system. I was
> wondering how hard it might be to install Kubuntu 64 then maybe enable
> the Ubuntu Studio 64 repositories in order to grab their RT kernel and
> get it working? From there, I would compile the music apps (and some of
> the libs) that I want myself, so I can stay nice and up to date, a
> complaint I've brought up in the past.
>
> Possible? Would I be biting off more than is worth chewing?
>
> * AMD64 X2 6000+ (3.1ghz)
> * 2GB DDR2-800 RAM
> * NVidia NForce chipset
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Darren Landrum

Just run whatever distro you want and then grab the source for the RT
kernel. I run Gentoo but never run Gentoo kernels. I'm fortunate that
the Gentoo pro-audio overlay means I don't have to go find the
rt-source code myself. Portage will download it, but I still have to
build it.

AFAIK it makes almost no difference what distro you run as long as
it's recent. You'll build the kernel using your installed tools and
you'll likely get good results.

If you're not experienced with building and installing kernels then be
careful, but do NOT be scared. It's pretty easy and it will  be a good
training experience.

Cheers,
Mark