[LAU] Yamaha Disklavier Pro grand piano

Roberto Gordo Saez roberto.gordo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 05:50:33 EDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 03:22:21PM -0600, Stephen Doonan wrote:
> No processing was done to either of the files. They were both exported
> directly from Qtractor as .ogg files. Here they are:
>
> Disklavier soundfont
> --------------------
> http://flytrapranch.com/lau/disklavier-piano-soundfont.ogg
>
> William Coakley piano samples
> -----------------------------
> http://flytrapranch.com/lau/coakley-piano-samples.ogg

Thank you very much for your comparison.

Of course William Coakley piano samples are much more well balanced
than the ones in the disklavier... this is obvious. A lot of work is
still needed to improve the soundfont in this area.

I've noticed that the disklavier is recorded very dry (probably on
purpose), so adding a reverb is almost essential; otherwise it sounds
like if the head is put inside the piano :-) William Coakley piano
samples contain some ambiance, and I guess they are recorded in real
stereo (unfortunatelly this can't be done in the disklavier soundfont,
since source samples are in mono).