[LAU] Yamaha Disklavier Pro grand piano

Roberto Gordo Saez roberto.gordo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 15:12:32 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 08:44:17PM +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
> Apart from my last paragraph (about using what suites best) I never talked
> about my priorities.

Hmmm... maybe I guessed wrong. Since you seem to support linuxsampler
in spite of its license, I was thinking that your priority was features
over freedom. Sorry if it was not the case (maybe you was not aware of
the commercial exception, then ???).

> But I would be really curious which other objective mistakes (apart from the
> ls-stuff) you found in my mail.

The others are more or less subjective, except for the definition of
what is a free file format; I'm also sure you are missing something
regarding this other issue, just give me some time to find the link
(I've read it a long time ago and don't have it right now...) I will
send it to you by private email, since I think that most people in the
list won't care very much about this ;-)

> I never said that fluidsynth isn't free. I only said that both gig and sf2 are
> not free formats. (free as in defined by the fsf (could have picked any other
> real-free-organization))

Now I wonder, in your opinion, what's required to make a file format
"free" besides its internal documentation? An ISO stardard or
something "official"?

> But: I just checked my local tarball of 0.5.1 and while the README states the
> non-commercial exception, neither the COPYING-file with the license text nor
> the source-files itself have that exception. But I don't want to restart
> these old discussions...

It is not a legal requirement to have the complete license notice in
all files. There are many sources that don't even include the GPL
header at all (like the esound sources, if I remember correctly), but
I agree that it would be much better to always put it, just to be clear.

> Maybe someone should start freesampler... ;-)

It is on my task list since about one year! :-)

I'm been very busy involved in other free software projects (and still
I am), so it will remain in my task list for a long time, I'm afraid :-(