[LAU] licensing fun, was Re: Yamaha Disklavier Pro grand piano

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Thu Sep 18 10:58:09 EDT 2008

On Thursday 18 September 2008 10:15:14 Randy Kramer wrote:
> On Thursday 18 September 2008 09:38 am, drew Roberts wrote:
> > Whatever the case may be, these are not GPL licensed programs and thus
>
> code
>
> > from them may not be mingled legally with other GPL programs. Right?
>
> I may have missed something in the context of your statement, but
> various levels of mingling are allowed, depending on the other
> licenses.  The simple one is that GPL software can be agregated with
> non-free software, for example, for things like a distro (i.e., a
> compilation of software).

Not mingled in that way.

> In addition, if the licenses are compatible, GPL software can call
> routines written with other (compatible licenses), and, iiuc, vice
> versa.  It really gets complicated and detailed--if you have specific
> questions, I'd probably suggest that you do some reading, or ask
> questions on a list devoted to the topic.

To be clear, code could not be taken from a GPL program and from these GPL
fakes with exceptions and mixed to form a separate GPL program. Nor could
code be taken from a GPL program and incorporated into one of the fake GPL
programs and likewise it could not be taken from one of the fake GPL programs
and incorporated into a GPL program.

Whereas, if you had two GPL programs, you could do this.

I am also not talking about use of ports and sockets and the like. Just mixing
the code into one whole.

> IANAL.
>
> Randy Kramer

all the best,