[LAU] licensing fun

Roberto Gordo Saez roberto.gordo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 11:56:21 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 07:31:58AM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> The licenses for Eisenkraut and FScape (both under the GPL) are
> restricted in similar fashion to LinuxSampler :
>
> "please note that you are /not allowed/ to use this software if you are
> a member of a military or pharmaceutical or governmental institution
> (excluding public service in general and civil science/education). if
> you have sympathies for bad governments (applies to most countries), you
> should also opt to /not use/ this software. thank you."

WOW, this is very interesting!!! From the official FAQ about GNU
licenses:

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#NoMilitary

  I'd like to license my code under the GPL, but I'd also like to make
  it clear that it can't be used for military and/or commercial uses. Can
  I do this?

  No, because those two goals contradict each other. The GNU GPL is
  designed specifically to prevent the addition of further restrictions.
  GPLv3 allows a very limited set of them, in section 7, but any other
  added restriction can be removed by the user.