[LAU] Free samples

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Fri Sep 19 07:12:49 EDT 2008

Roberto Gordo Saez schrieb:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 01:28:49PM +0200, Hartmut Noack wrote:

> This is excellent! Guitars and percussion are among the most needed
> samples right now (at least for me). For percussion, there is a good
> set of samples and an Hydrogen sound bank made by Marcos Guglielmetti,
> but it would be good to have more alternatives.

http://gnupc.de/~zettberlin/law/samples/free/raw/

Many cymbals, 2 snares, 1 bassdrum etc.
I hope, some of these will be helpfull.

> For guitars there is
> nothing under free licenses (at least that I know of). I would be very
> happy to turn your samples into soundfonts :-)

These I made some time ago from a Fender Telecaster:

http://gnupc.de/~zettberlin/law/samples/free/telshow-tele/

the samples are 44.1/16 only and made up to fit my personal needs. That
is: I use them in Specimen to build new virtual instruments, not to
mimic a real guitar (I prefer to play those myself oldschool ;-) ).
Right now I am about to record riffings and other sounds from the metal
domain. Hope I can upload some of those next week.

>> Repeat: I need feedback *includig* advice on what I should do better.
>
> What equipment and mics do you have?

http://lapoc.de/lapoc-gear.php

the page is in german only (sorry for that...) so here an excerpt:

Mikrofones:

 * RFT DM 122 (dynamic spheroid, for acoustic guitars and drums)
 * AKG Perception 100 (condenser cardioid for voice, strings, piano,
percussion etc)
 * Samson C02 (electret for cynbals and drums)

I have a small collection of lesser mics also but use those quite
seldom. I also use to borrow mikes from friends and colleagues as needed
especially if I run sessions with drummers/complete bands.

Preamps:
 * a phonic mixer MM1002 (better than its price suggests ;-)
 * a Presonus Firebox (very very OK I dare to say)

Of course the Computers are all GNU/Linux and Ardour, the interfaces are
the Firebox and a MAudio 1024 Audiophile.

> Well... my suggestion and wishes are samples at the higher sample rate
> and bit depth that your hardware allows, and very long in time (if
> possible, the full note decay). It is always easier to downsample and
> cut big samples than the opposite.

The uploaded file is 96KHz/32float OK?
To make a drummer play a cymbal and actually *wait* and be quiet till
the decay ends is a different matter though ;-) But most of the samples
should be separate. Some of them have strange resonances in it for we
have recorded in a room with 10 treated pianos. And there may be a
minimum of hiss for we needed to use a very long cable. Hope I can make
some more next week without such (maybe) unwanted extras.At the other
hand these extras add some tasty life to the samples...

> Don't bother in cutting the samples, just record into a big wav file
> with all the samples one after another, separated by one or two
> seconds of silence.

That helps a lot: if I only need to record one big file and only cut
unneeded silence/noise when changing instruments/microphones/settings,
the recordings will keep coming ;-)

> To get an idea of the result, could you please create a few demo
> samples of a clean electric guitar, for example?

OK, I got these:
http://gnupc.de/~zettberlin/law/samples/free/telshow-tele/

I will record some more in the next two weeks...

best regs

HZN