[LAU] Freebob high CPU usage

Hector Centeno hcengar at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 01:06:21 EDT 2008

Hello,

I have two computers (desktop and laptop) with Ubuntu Hardy (using
kernel RT on both) and a Edirol FA-101 firewire interface. I was
comparing Jack's CPU usage (no other audio app running) using the
Edirol against a USB M-Audio Transit. I noticed on both computer the
CPU usage to be much higher with the firewire interface than with the
USB. On my laptop goes up to 15% or more and 8% on my desktop
(Centrino Duo @ 1.7GHz and Core 2 Duo @ 2.1 GHz respectively) while
using the USB interface the usage remains below 1%. Is this a normal
behaviour of firewire interfaces? Is this a Jack related issue? Is
there a recent and more efficient version of Freebob (ffado maybe?)
than the one from the Ubuntu repos?

Cheers,

Hector