[LAU] ALSA ate my MIDI! (Or Something)

Matthew Smith matt at smiffytech.com
Sun Sep 21 01:20:15 EDT 2008

Quoth Matthew Smith at 2008-09-21 13:05...
> Now, for some strange reason, MIDI seems to be broken.  When I plug in
> my Roland PC-300 MIDI controller and hook it up with Jack to a softsynth
> or to Rosegarden, nothing happens.  I flipped the switch on the back
> that sets the output to go to the 'real' MIDI port rather than through
> the USB system, hooked it into a 'real' synth module and it worked fine.

Just answering my own post to provide further information:

1) I have managed to use the keyboard OK with software on Windows XP
under VMWare.

2) Using aplaymidi, I have been able to send data out of the MIDI out on
the keyboard.

3) Using arecordmidi, nothing seems to be captured.

This suggests that the keyboard is working normally and that something
is amiss with ALSA receiving MIDI data.

--
Matthew Smith
Business: http://www.smiffytech.com/