[LAU] 2.6.24 or 2.6.26

Cassiel raffaele.morelli at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 04:43:21 EDT 2008

2008/9/20 David Baron <d_baron at 012.net.il>

> On Friday 19 September 2008 18:36:48 David Adler wrote:
> > Hello Raffaele,
> >
> > > Apologize if this point has been addressed in previous thread(s) but
> > > didn't find any archive search engine.
> >
> > http://www.nabble.com/linux-audio-user-f13236.html
> >

> > If using a distribution optimised for realtime and audio (like
> > 64studio, Planet CCRMA or Ubuntu Studio) is no option for whatever
> > reasons, i'm sorry not to be able to help regarding the other
> > question.
> >
> > At least there are people who seem to have been successful:
> >
> http://www.nabble.com/Finally-build-2.6.26-that-works-to19567778.html#a1956
> >7778
> This probably a capture of my posting to this list.
>
> While I can boot this kernel and SOMETIMES not have it kill ide1, and also
> have the nvidia driver built, I cannot claim to have used it yet. Not
> saying
> definitely no, but just not yet. Previous builds of this kernel have caused
> serious disk problems (though no data loss or permanent damage, just a holy
> pain in the ...). I cannot let my self run it and try audio work until I
> can
> solve the problems and know it is safe. 2.6.27 might be around first.

Ok, your problems are video/ide related.

Googling around I found several posts about the 2.6.26 kernel and the
preemption, big kernel locking stuffs (eg. *http://lwn.net/Articles/282319/*
)

Far from being a linux guru nor a kernel or C skilled programmer one I
understand there's something in the new stable release that involves
RT_PREEMPT code so I just wanted to know what all those things meant for us
poor end users.

Do we finally have to switch back to 2.6.24?  I also saw Ingo Molnar's rt
patch for 2.6.24 has been updated on 13th september (
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/) and argued that 2.6.24
is actually the preferred choice for RT tasks...

regards