[LAU] Aeolus, synthesized pipe organ

Fritz Meissner fritzm1 at mweb.co.za
Mon Sep 22 17:53:37 EDT 2008

Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> Audio tab = jack audio clients and ports;
> MIDI tab = jack midi clients and ports (only in qjackctl >= 0.3.x);
> ALSA tab = alsa sequencer midi clients and ports (former MIDI tab on
> qjackctl <= 0.2.x).
>
> byee
I'm having difficulty understanding what the difference is between jack
midi clients and alsa sequencer midi clients. Could you possibly give me
some examples of which programs will show up as jack clients and which
as alsa sequencer clients ? Does it make a difference to the way one
uses them, or the facilities that jack offers them? In other words, what
is the reason for having separate tabs ? Can one not connect a jack midi
client to an alsa sequencer port then ?

Sorry to be bombarding you with questions, but in the absence of
documentation, it seems to be the only way to get an understanding of jack.

Fritz