[LAU] Usage of undefinded MIDI mesages

nescivi nescivi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 16:58:10 EDT 2008

Hiho,

On Saturday 27 September 2008 06:55:52 Crypto wrote:
> I have turned an old analogue electric organ into a MIDI controller. All
> the old push buttons, switches, pots, drawbars can now trigger MIDI events.
>
> Because I would like to make the MIDI messages static (i.e. they are linked
> with particular buttons and faders and will not be changed) I have thought
> of using an external application (keykit in this case) to work on incoming
> MIDI events of the MIDI controller, filter them and trigger newly defined
> MIDI events with it.
>
> I would like to make the MIDI messages transmitted by the controller as
> short as possible. I have thought of assigning the Bx (Control Change)
> command to the buttons and faders, but this would mix with/overwrite other
> control change commands sent by other MIDI devices.
>
> It has to be possible to distinguish between the buttons/faders by the MIDI
> message that each one triggers.

I think it is most common use to use CC for this. Any CV-to-MIDI box does
this, as far as I know.
The higher CC messages do not have a fixed meaning in the MIDI specification,
so they are open to interpretation.

so the messages would be CC - cc no - cc value

Channels are used to distinguish between different MIDI devices, so that is
how you are supposed to do it too. Make it configurable on your box with some
DIP-switches maybe.

If you do it like this, you can also use your MIDI controller to control
something like a Nord Modular, where you can assign Midi CC to (virtual)
knobs in your synthesizer patches. And you won't even have to bring your
computer to a gig then...

sincerely,
Marije