[LAU] [ANN] Virtual MIDI Piano Keyboard 0.2.0

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas pedro.lopez.cabanillas at gmail.com
Sun Sep 28 06:09:44 EDT 2008

hermann meyer wrote:
> When it click the menu, now matter if I select a
> entry ore not, all my windows(include vmpk) on screen go unmoveable and
> no menu is useable any more for all other windows. The only menu witch
> work is that from vmpk. I need to exit vmpk to get back access for my
> other windows.
> That happend when I use gnome, Xfce, openbox or Icewm. Every thing work
> well when I use KDE or fluxbox.

You are right. VMPK uses XGrabKeyboard() to seize the keyboard, even when VMPK
is not the active application. I find this feature very convenient for this
program, because you can play notes with VMPK even when you are using
controls with the mouse in another application. For instance, you may want to
press the record/stop buttons in your favorite MIDI sequencer while using
VMPK.

Grabbing the keyboard works well in KDE, Enlightenment and WindowMaker, but it
is very annoying under other window managers and desktops as you have
noticed. I'm sorry, but I can only offer a workaround for the next release:
grab keyboard functionality will be optional, and disabled by default.

For the record, when the keyboard grabbing is active you don't need to exit
the program to use the keyboard in other applications, only minimize (hide
it). Keyboard grabbing will be re-enabled when the program is restored.

Of course, you can fix your problem right now: install and use a decent
desktop, like KDE ;-)

Regards,
Pedro