[LAU] The courses that the students take during their Music Technology Education

nescivi nescivi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 00:29:15 EDT 2009

Hiho,

On Saturday 04 April 2009 09:02:55 Arda Eden wrote:
> Hi There,
> Here in Turkey, music technology education is mostly associated with
> recording,
> mixing and other studio applications. As I get from those mail lists,
> outside Turkey
> music technology (at the universities of course) is mostly interested in
> creating the
> technology rather using it.
>
> There are 4 or 5 music technology departments at different universities
> here in Turkey.
> It seems like the philosophy is not grabbed in a correct way because all
> has dissimilar course programs.
> Only my department gives courses like Csound, Programming Languages, Sound
> Synthesis
> etc. along with studio applications. Rest of the departments just focus on
> studio stuff.
>
> So, I need to publish a paper about music technology formation all around
> the world which
> I can adapt it here in Turkey.
>
> I just need your help in that way:
>
> 1) Personal ideas about my problem above.
> 2) The course programs (or just the names of the courses) of the
> departments that you're working at.
> 3) The qualification requirements of the student candidates.
>
> Although it looks like this mail mostly concerns the university men,
> everybody is welcome.

I think the type of education and program mostly depends on what the purpose
of the program is.
There are programs called Music Technology, that in fact educate sound
engineers, for either live sound engineering or studio sound engineering.
These programs have a clear course to get the students to learn the skills to
make good recordings, or good amplification. So this is more what the Germans
would call a "Tonmeister"-program.
In some cases such programs are attached to music schools or conservatories.

Then you have departments (sometimes also called Music Technology) in
Universities that are more meant to train people in the academic sense, so
there is more an emphasis on theory, research and experimentation. Students
coming out of such programs are not necessarily able to make a proper
recording, like the Tonmeisters (who usually also get hearing training and
such), but they know about different theories and maybe know a bit more about
the nitty, gritty details of DSP, while they may not know which plugin effect
to make the recording sound better like the student who did the Tonmeister
program.

And then you have programs where both approaches get mixed together...

But I hope this helps you to get a general idea of the different types of
education.

sincerely,
Marije