[LAU] Mastering question (not software, but technique)

Justin Smith noisesmith at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 04:47:44 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 1:31 AM, Simon Wise <simonzwise at gmail.com> wrote:
> Julien Claassen wrote:
>> Hello Justin!
>>    I've never used a control surface. I have my synths though. I always wanted
>> to find the time to find out which interface controls map to what. But I
>> didn't get around to it. Mostly I use the modwheel for sweeping through
>> parameters. I imagine at least the Nordlead's wheel can do more then 128
>> discrete positions.
>>    I'll have to see, yet $200 is more than I can afford right now. And I don't
>> need motorised faders anyway. Still a good tipp.
>>    Kindest regards
>>          Julien
>
> The BCF2000 controls can do 14 bits, using 2x midi CC channels, but it
> may take a bit of scripting for you to make good use of that feature.
>
> The main advantage of motorised faders is that you could then switch
> between sets of parameters and the (re-assigned) faders will jump to the
> correct place, allowing you to adjust the new parameter cleanly, and if
> a parameter is changed by the computer (say you are playing back a mix
> with recorded values for that parameter) then the fader will follow
> these values. For your use the groups of faders would be useful since it
> would be reasonably easy to arrange the switching between groups via a
> CL interface (certainly it would work well on a BCF2000).
>
> I don't know if it would be easy to set up a way of recording your
> parameter changes while you listened - some GUI apps (eg ardour) allow
> that easily but it may be harder to find a CL app that could work that way?
>

> Simon

When I mentioned having more than 128 values per slider, I meant NRPN,
which is what I think you are referring to when you mention using 2
CCs for one slider.

My latest experiment with my control surface is a PD canvas where each
object has a number of parameters that get mapped to the knobs and
sliders when the object is clicked on, allowing me to quickly tweak
large numbers of short events with up to 40 parameters (four
switchable banks of 8 knobs + one bank of 8 sliders), each parameter
having a 14 bit resolution.