[LAU] how record electric guitar?

Ricus Vincente wizardofgosz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 13:15:36 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 13:04 -0400, Paul Coccoli wrote:

> Here's what drives me crazy: someone asks a very basic question, how
> to record a guitar, and you start talking about multiple mics!  The OP
> isn't even sure how to use one mic.  And as a professional, you know
> full well you don't *need* more than one.

  Sure.  My point was hang some mic(s), arm some track(s), and hit the
red button.

> >  If you're recording distorted guitar there's little need to compress on
> > the way in because it's already super compressed.  If you have something
> > really fat sounding like a Distressor or a Tube-Tech or something, and
> > you want to fatten the sound a bit more, fine.
>
> Agreed; don't worry about compression (yet).  But again, if he has to
> ask about how to record a guitar, do you think he owns a Distressor?
> Or should even be thinking about how to use outboard gear (besides the
> mic pre)?

  No idea what his level is.  I read the very beginning of this thread,
ignored it for a while, and felt fired up when I saw it today.   :-)

> >  I've had luck with almost EVERY mic I've ever used on guitars.  U47,
> > U67, U87, 414, 4050, 421, KSM44, KSM27, M88.  On general principle I
> > won't have a 57 on anything.  Maybe it's stubbornness.
>
> It is stubbornness (in my not-even-amateur opinion).

  Absolutely.  But I still won't use it.  Blame an old boss of mine who
swore by SM56's as well.

> My advice: plug your guitar into your amp, and fiddle with both the
> guitar and amp until you like how it sounds.  Then put the mic right
> in front of the speaker.  Start with ALL gain controls low, and slowly
> bring them up.  Don't worry about low cut on the pre; you probably
> don't need it.  Leave some headroom on the mic pre (using the meter)
> but also leave a lot of headroom on your soundcard (use a mixer app).
> Don't even try to get it as loud as possible, because you wind up with
> digital clipping, which will ruin your recording.  Just get it loud
> enough.  You can adjust the level more precisely later.
>
> Listen to your recording.  If you hear lots of rumbling, try the low
> cut on the pre.
>
> If you don't think the recording sounds like what you hear when
> playing, move the mic farther away.  Maybe even put it exactly where
> your ear normally is.
>
> Most importantly: stop reading and writing e-mail and do it.  If it
> sounds bad, change one thing and try again.

  I'm basically with you.

 But I say just hang some mics and hit record.  It isn't going to sound
like Ed Cherney recorded it, but so what?  It's something to strive for.

 Rich...