[LAU] hdsp, mpd and lyrcing

Andrew Gaydenko a at gaydenko.com
Sat Apr 11 11:55:06 EDT 2009

Hi!

For "lirc-ized" playing back I use mpd CLI client. As far as hdsp driver
hasn't common "Master Volume" (or such) alsa control, I use mpd's "software"
volume leveling, so lirc commands are directed to CLI mpd client.

To have some reserve in volume I set amplifier's volume regulator higher than,
say, is needed at current moment. As a result I have software level noticeably
below 100%. I suppose such software volume regulating eats samples resolution
(and, at least theoretically, sometimes I have, say, 12-13 bits rather 16).

Am I right?

If "yes" - are there ways to use lirc to set a volume level more directly
communicating with hdsp driver via CLI? Will such way keep sample accuracy?