[LAU] suspending with realtime kernel

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Apr 16 03:54:29 EDT 2009

Robert Persson wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've been having a problem which isn't directly to do with audio—it's to
> do with the Ubuntu realtime kernel—but I haven't got any answers from
> the Ubuntu forums and this is a real showstopper as far as doing audio
> work goes.
>
> I hadn't done any audio work for quite a while, and therefore had been
> running the 64 bit Intrepid generic kernel on my Thinkpad R61i without
> too much problem (but not entirely without problems either). Yesterday I
> booted the realtime kernel. When I tried to suspend the machine I got a
> message "Freezing of tasks failed after 20.00 seconds (2 tasks refusing
> to freeze):" At this point the interface had frozen completely and I had
> to force a shutdown by holding down the power button. There was however
> some intermittent flickering from the disk activity indicator, so
> something was still working. The tasks that were refusing to freeze were
> NetworkManager and wpa_supplicant.
>
> This happened one or two more times. Then I tried it again and found
> that 4 tasks this time were refusing to freeze: NetworkManager,
> wpa_supplicant, avahi-daemon and gnome-do. After this I returned to the
> generic kernel, which is working as well as it always did.

Hmmm, no expert, but aren't they all network related (well, I don't know
what "gnome-do" does)? wpa-supplicant - is it some wireless network
component trying to get a WPA key or something? Anyway, if you're not
using the wireless connection, maybe not have the system even try to
load or work with wireless?

It reminds me my Help Desk days. Suspending machines with live network
connections was always fraught with peril!

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community