[LAU] building liblo static library

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Wed Apr 22 05:06:43 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Wednesday 22 April 2009 04:06:01 michael noble wrote:
> Hopefully I'm not out of place. I'm trying to compile liblo for openSuse
> 11.1 as none of the default packages include the static library, however
> the build is bailing during make:
> libtool: Version mismatch error.  This is libtool 2.2.4
> Debian-2.2.4-0ubuntu4, but the
> libtool: definition of this LT_INIT comes from libtool 2.2.6.
> Can anybody give me any clue about how I could rememdy this. I have libtool
> 2.2.6 installed, so I really don't understand the reference to 2.2.4.

Without knowing the package (the details, of course I know liblo): Most times
libtool is shipped with the source-package, that is the reason this libtool
says its debian-2.2.4 while you are on suse. (Actually this method is kind of
strange as only half of the needed stuff is in the package, the other half, the
headers, are missing and version conflicts arise. Would be better to not ship
libtool at all...)

There are two solutions:
1) Downgrade your installed libtool.
2) Upgrade the libtool in the source-package. I think this is best done by
calling libtoolize inside the root of the source-dir...

Have fun,

Arnold