[LAU] classical concert needs mixing/mastering

garry Ogle garry.ogle at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Apr 22 17:04:19 EDT 2009

Grammostola Rosea wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My sister did an great project with here school as a music teacher. See
> let her students perform an classical concert. They played Haydn.
>
> The recording is done with an zoom H2 I think. I was wondering if its
> possible to improve the sound and how?
>
> Which apps and which plugins?
>
> If an experienced mixer would take look at it, would be great.
>
> Here is the first part:
>
> http://www.sendspace.com/file/s4ubmc
>
> \r

I certainly can't claim be experienced or any kind of expert, but I like
this kind of problem!
To my ears the room colouration has made the recording sound a bit
"boxy". Try using jamin to gently cut some of the mid-range 600hz-1200Hz
approx.

here's a quick shot: http://www.garryo.org/export/15566.0.track13.EQ01.flac

Does that sound any better to you? ( yeah its louder )

you could borrow a cd of the same piece ( local library, do they do that
in NL? ) and use that as a reference.

best wishes,

~G.