[LAU] [LAD] [OT] gdm setup in F10

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Sun Apr 26 13:49:16 EDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 07:15:10PM +0200, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:

> Fons Adriaensen:
> >
> > On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 05:37:52PM -0700, Justin Smith wrote:
> >
> >> The file .xsession has the same setup as .xinitrc, and as long as it
> >> is readable and executable by gdm/xdm/kdm will be a valid session
> >> choice as "user custom session" or some such. I just do a "ln -s
> >> .xinitrc .xsession;chmod +rx .xsession" and that works just fine. If
> >> you don't know how to set up an xinitrc just a single line saying
> >> "wmaker" will work fine, since windowmaker has its own options to
> >> invoke other programs for your session.
> >
> > Well, before posting I did have WindowMaker installed,
> > I did have .xinitrc and .xsession which just contain
> > "wmaker". All of this is just ignored. I guess it's
> > one of the desktop *Kit things hijacking my machine.
> >
> > There is no "Session" menu in GDM nor did I find a way
> > to have one.
> >

> I had the same trouble recently trying to run
> fvwm with fedora 10.
>
> If you install windowmaker
> using a fedora package, a menu at the bottom
> of the gdm screen should appear. In this menu you
> should be able to choose window manager.
>
> (I saw the menu coincidentally after lots of
> frustration trying to edit .xsession etc.)

You mean at the bottom of the _screen_, not of
the gdm window ? If it was there it managed rather
well to remain inconspicuous... I also wonder why
my ~/.xsession was ignored.
I just removed gdm and installed xdm. Doing this
leaves you with audio devices owned by root/root
but that's easily corrected in udev (where this
should have been taken care of in the first place).

Now if I could get rid of PolicyKit and ConsoleKit
I'd be even more happy. We already have passwords,
PAM, udev, selinux and whatever else - the last
thing required IMHO is one more layer setting
access permissions.

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.