[LAU] [LAD] [OT] gdm setup in F10

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Tue Apr 28 08:24:24 EDT 2009

Fons Adriaensen:

>> I had the same trouble recently trying to run
>> fvwm with fedora 10.
>>
>> If you install windowmaker
>> using a fedora package, a menu at the bottom
>> of the gdm screen should appear. In this menu you
>> should be able to choose window manager.
>>
>> (I saw the menu coincidentally after lots of
>> frustration trying to edit .xsession etc.)
>
> You mean at the bottom of the _screen_, not of
> the gdm window ?

Yes, at the bottom of the screen. And furthermore,
the menu doesn't show up until _after_ you have written
your user-name in the gdm window. :-)

  If it was there it managed rather
> well to remain inconspicuous... I also wonder why
> my ~/.xsession was ignored.
> I just removed gdm and installed xdm. Doing this
> leaves you with audio devices owned by root/root
> but that's easily corrected in udev (where this
> should have been taken care of in the first place).

I think I'll switch to xdm too. I'm suspecting gdm
to start pulseaudio, set background color, gtk style,
and probably other things I most certainly don't want.