[LAU] Thinking of getting a Shuttle for audio

nescivi nescivi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 16:15:45 EDT 2009

Hiho,

On Thursday 30 April 2009 14:56:33 Florian Faber wrote:
> > I'm thinking of getting a Shuttle PC to run sound installations from (I
> > need a portable machine for transport). The particular one I have an eye
> > on is this one:
> >
> > Shuttle KPC K4500 Desktop, 1.8GHz Celeron, 512MB, 80GB, Foresight Linux
> > Desktop Computer
> >
> > probably getting a little bit more memory for it, just to be sure.
> > And I'll build in my Terratec EWS88 as an audio card.
> > (One of the reasons to go for a Shuttle, rather than the also tempting
> > Asus EeeBox, but then I'd need an external soundcard, which doesn't seem
> > to be there in lowcost, but many channels, and probably USB; I need at
> > least 4in-8out for the installation).
> >
> > Does anyone have experience with Shuttle machines for audio work?
>
> Yes. I have several identical machines (SN68PTG6 with AMD 64 X2 3Ghz EE,
> 2GB Ram, 2x 250GB Raid 0, RME HDSPe MADI + TCO) that I use for
> recording, timecode-coupled shows etc.
>
> Regarding audio work, the Shuttles are just as good or bad as any other
> PC with the same chipset and configuration. I prefer AMD for
> audio/video, but I am lacking hard evidence, so this is just my opinion.

ok.

> I use the Shuttle transport bags, very handy. I believe they are
> designed for easy deployment on LAN parties etc., but it works well for
> shows, too :)

I was thinking of getting one of these too, yes.
any experience with traveling with them on flights? Do you take them as
handluggage?

> The 'big' shuttles are very quiet, I don't know about the K45 series,
> though (will get my first K45 next week, intend to use it as a SOHO
> server).
>
> If your K45 has to be very quiet, check the TDP of the Celeron. The
> smaller Shuttle power supplies tend to be noisy, but you can replace
> them with passive cooled versions.

Noise is not so much a problem. The installation in question will be running
outdoors, and the Shuttle will be hiding in some safe indoorish location, out
of the way.

sincerely,
Marije